It’s the time of year where we are actively looking ahead to the new year and seeking out new partners to be a part of this great shared ministry that allows us to serve our mission and bring greater life and love to both those within our congregation, as well as far beyond.
If you are seeking to serve and offer your gifts in the congregation, take a look at this list and see if there’s something here that may be a fit for you – that place where service and joy overlap. If you’re interested in learning more, and finding your place in the partnership of our congregation, please let Rev. Haley know at email@example.com.
- Hospitality Learning Community – We are looking for those who care about making this a welcoming congregation for all who arrive or who have been here for a long time. The “Learning Community” aspect means that rather than a set agenda, this group tries to ask questions and learn ways to better practice hospitality as a congregation, and brings these experiments and ideas back to our wider congregation. Time Commitment: Monthly gatherings for learning and building connections with others, and then additional time based on the experiments and learnings the group discovers. We ask for at least a one year commitment.
- Auction Team – Now seeking partners in putting on our annual goods and services auction. This is a great way to have a big impact on the congregation and our mission, and throw a big party along the way! We’re looking for people who are good at organizing others and a fun event, those who enjoy reaching out to the congregation as well as the wider community for donations, and then we also need help with data entry and details. There are a few different jobs, and we’ll work with you to make it work. Time Commitment: Varies based on the role, but is concluded by November 2016 when the auction occurs.
- Grocery Cards – Our longtime volunteer overseeing our Grocery card sales is retiring. We need someone who is detail oriented and who loves to make a major impact behind the scenes to step in and manage this important fundraiser for the church. Time commitment: Weekly in-office and some outreach to wider community.
- Religious Exploration Teachers – We are beginning to think about RE Teachers for children and youth for the fall. No experience necessary. This is a great way for you to go deeper into your faith journey and Unitarian Universalism – by teaching our kids! Eleanor makes this easy and meaningful for all who teach. Time Commitment: Twice a month, along with an orientation session at the beginning of each church year.
- Small Group Leaders – We are hoping to launch a number of new groups in the fall, and we have a good number of leaders who are wanting to step back. Maybe you’d be interested in facilitating a group as they grow in self-awareness, understanding, connection with others, and courage in living the life they hope to live….? This is an incredibly meaningful way to serve and give. There is training and ongoing support if you are interested – as well as many different options for day and time. Time Commitment: Varies – after an initial 3 hour training, groups can run for 4-10 sessions if they are “closed” once the initial registration is set, or indefinitely if they regularly find ways to integrate new people.
- Office help – We are always in need of a little extra help in the office – filing, printing, sorting, organizing, data entry, answering phones……everything! Time Commitment: Can be one-time or ongoing, very flexible!
- Finance Team – If you love numbers and budgets, this is the place for you! We meet monthly and review the current cash flow and budget, as well as other financial reports. We try to catch financial challenges the church may be facing early, and brainstorm ways to address it. We work directly with the Administrator and the Senior Minister, and have a strong ongoing dialogue with the Board. Time Commitment: Monthly meetings.
- Caring Cards – We are always looking for a few more folks willing to help at our Caring Cards Table. These cards are a great way for our congregation to send our love and support to someone through a difficult – or joyous – time in their lives. Those who staff it also end up hearing about other joys and sorrows in people’s lives, and os it is important that this person be a good listener and someone people feel comfortable talking to and with. Time Commitment: Sign up for as few or as many Sunday services as you would like!
- Ushers and Visitor’s Table Greeters on Sundays: Although it is going pretty well with our groups filling Sunday roles, there are often still gaps. We could use about 10 new people to sign up as “Free Rangers,” which means, we’ll call you if the group can’t find enough people for their service. Ushering and greeting are among the best way to meet new people – and you’ll be going a long ways towards making this a more hospitable congregation. Time Commitment: Could be one Sunday, or multiple. Can be both services, or just one.
- Meals Team: It can mean so much when one in our community is sick or has experienced a loss, or whose spouse or other family member is injured or ill, for another in our community to bring a hot meal. We are always looking for people willing to be on the list to bring a meal when it is needed. Once you’re on the list, you get an email when meals are needed, and then you can sign up for a slot that works for you. Time Commitment: Bring one meal, or many – based on your schedule and capacity.
Again, if there’s something here that strikes you as a fit for your gifts and skills, let Rev. Haley know. If there’s nothing here that quite fits, but you still are trying to find a deeper connection and ownership in the church, please let Kathryn our office assistant – firstname.lastname@example.org or 493-4906 – know so that she can track your interest on our gifts and service database.