Dear members and friends,
We are excited to be nearing our congregational meeting this Sunday. We hope you all received the following two documents to prepare you for this important gathering:
- 2016-17 Annual Meeting Agenda and Report
- Governance Proposal, including draft resolutions from the Governance Task Force
Because of the complicated nature of this year’s agenda, the Board leadership met earlier this week with a professional Parliamentarian to prepare.
In that meeting, we realized that it would be ideal to establish a few standing rules at the beginning of our gathering to ensure our meeting runs smoothly, respectfully, and within a reasonable time frame. While these rules will need to be approved by the gathering on Sunday (2/3rd majority), we wanted to give you the heads up about what we’re thinking in advance. So, here are a few of the sorts of rules we’re considering:
- An agreed-upon time limit for speakers;
- An agreement that everyone who wants to speak gets to speak before anyone speaks a second time;
- An agreement to abide by our covenant of right relations as a part of our business;
- For any amendments (particularly to the by-law portion) that they be submitted in writing in advance to the Board so that the whole gathering does not need to wait while editing/drafting occurs.
While we believe that our governance proposal has been thoroughly vetted through our many meetings and conversations with the congregation over the course of the last 18 months, our process leaves open the possibility that there remains something needing further consideration. As a result, please do note this last potential rule if you are considering an amendment proposal, and please submit it in writing as soon as possible (and no later than 11:15 am on Sunday) to the Board of Trustees at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you all for your partnership and support as we continue to grow our congregation in service of our shared mission, unleashing courageous love across our whole community, and beyond.
Erin Hottenstein, Board President